Most programs use CPIWeb, a web-based version of APTA’s CPI form. It costs upwards of $1000 annually to use the web-based version of CPI and it cannot be used within other software systems, such as Exxat. For this and other reasons, many programs choose to use alternatives to CPIWeb.
The Clinical Internship Evaluation Tool (CIET) is a free, peer-reviewed and validated assessment tool developed by the University of Pittsburgh. It has been in use at Pitt since 1998. PT Journal holds the copyright, but the form itself is free to use with their permission. Schools across the nation are moving towards adopting the CIET in lieu of CPI.
For full details on the development and use of the CIET as well as to review the form itself, read “Validation of the Clinical Internship Evaluation Tool” by here.
“Clinical instructors reported that it takes between 30 and 60 minutes to complete the CIET compared with 2 to 3 hours for other clinical evaluation tools they have used.”
The University of Pittsburgh Physical Therapy program is an Exxat client and we worked with them to set up the CIET within our system. With Pittsburgh’s help, we were then able to make the CIET available to all of our interested clients. We currently have several PT programs moving toward using CIET.
- Free, unlimited use of the CIET.
- Immediate availability.
- Exxat’s top-notch customer service and support.
- Everything in one system. No more copying data from CPIWeb into Exxat. No more paying for two systems.
- Easy to use for students. The CIET will show up right in their To Do list just like all of their other tasks. This means less training, less confusion, and fewer errors.
- Easy to use for CIs. According to Fitzgerald, “Clinical instructors reported that it takes between 30 and 60 minutes to complete the CIET compared with 2 to 3 hours for other clinical evaluation tools they have used.”
Contact your Exxat representative to learn more about getting started with the CIET.